- Juris Doctor (J.D.), Wayne State University Law School, 1983
- Master of Arts (M.A), English, Georgetown University, 1976
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), English, Georgetown University, 1974
State Bar Admissions
Licensed to Practice In
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
Over the course of 34 years, Anne Widlak has developed a specialty in management side employment law as both a litigator and a counselor. She provides preventive counseling to employers of all sizes, advising in-house counsel, human resources professionals and other managers about a wide variety of employment issues in the workplace. She also has drafted numerous employee handbooks, provided training on multiple employment topics, and performed independent investigations of workplace complaints of harassment and discrimination.
Ms. Widlak has also forcefully and successfully defended cases in state and federal courts involving a comprehensive array of claims, including workplace harassment; discrimination based on age, disability, sex, race, national origin and other protected categories; retaliation; violations of the Family and Medical Leave Act; wrongful discharge; intentional interference with an at will employment relationship and others. She has extensive experience representing employers in the defense of discrimination charges filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Michigan Department of Civil Rights.
Memberships and Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan - Chair, Litigation Section, 2002-2003 and past Secretary, Treasurer and Council Member; Member, Litigation and Labor and Employment Law Sections.
- Macomb County Bar Association - Member, Labor and Employment Law Committee.
- Ms. Widlak has served as a volunteer attorney for Homeless Experience Legal Protection (H.E.L.P.), which partners with a Detroit local service program to offer regularly scheduled clinics to provide free legal advice and assistance to homeless individuals.
- Ms. Widlak is a Trustee of University Liggett School and a former member of the Board of the Detroit Institute for Children.
Noted Presentations and Publications
Ms. Widlak has presented seminars on a variety of employment law topics. Ms. Widlak and a colleague presented a seminar for employers addressing the emerging use of social networking sites by both employees and employers and the unique legal issues created by such use in the workplace. In addition, Ms. Widlak collaborated on a presentation addressing the issue of how an employer should respond to employees’ internal complaints.
Ms. Widlak recently authored a blog entitled: “Office Romances: How Employers Can Protect Against Liability,” and she and a colleague recently presented a seminar on Accommodating Pregnancy in the Workplace.
Honors and Distinctions
- Elected a Fellow of The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. Election as a Fellow is the highest recognition by one’s colleagues of sustained outstanding performance in the profession, exemplifying integrity, dedication and excellence.
- Achieved an “AV” Preeminent (5.0 out of 5) peer rating by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest ranking for ethical standards and legal ability.
- Named one of DBusiness Magazine’s Top Lawyers for 2016.
- Included by Martindale-Hubbell in its 2016 Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™.
- Selected as one of Michigan’s Super Lawyers for 2017. Super Lawyers is a research-driven, peer-influenced rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- Selected by Martindale-Hubbell to be included in its 2015 Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers™.
- Chosen by Hour Detroit magazine as a Top Woman Attorney for 2014.
- Named as a 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Labor and Employment by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell.
- One of 25 Michigan "Leaders in the Law," Michigan Lawyers Weekly, 2012.
- Named a Fellow of Litigation Counsel of America (LCA). The LCA is a trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers. Fellowship in the LCA is highly selective and by invitation only. Fellows are selected based upon effectiveness and accomplishment in litigation, both at the trial and appellate levels, and superior ethical reputation.
- Appointed as Panel Chairperson, Michigan Attorney Discipline Board, the adjudicative arm of the Michigan Supreme Court for the discharge of its exclusive constitutional responsibility to supervise and discipline Michigan attorneys.
- October 23, 2017
Nemeth Law attorneys discuss timely labor and employment topics in third quarter 2017
- July 7, 2017
Nemeth Law attorneys discuss timely labor and employment topics in second quarter 2017
- June 27, 2017
Nemeth Law attorney named Fellow by the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- April 5, 2017
Nemeth Law attorneys discuss timely labor and employment topics in first quarter 2017
- February 7, 2017
Nemeth Law attorney to serve as panelist at Career Mastered Symposium; March 1 event will focus on leadership development and accelerating women’s careers
- January 30, 2017
Valentine’s Day in the workplace? Employers should establish policy guidelines to mitigate potential negative impact of an office romance
- September 1, 2016
Nemeth Law attorneys named to 2016 Michigan Super Lawyers
- September 22, 2015
Nemeth Law attorneys named to DBusiness Top Lawyers List
- September 5, 2014
Nemeth Law attorneys named to 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Star lists