Nemeth Law’s Raising the Bar series on October 14th presents: Successfully Defending Unemployment Claims: So You Want to be your Own Lawyer?
- Criteria for determining whether to challenge a claim.
- Eligibility requirements - minimum requirements for benefits, availability for work and refusal of work.
- Grounds for disqualification:
- When is a voluntary quit not voluntary? When is an involuntary separation a voluntary quit?
- Misconduct – how is it defined?
- Drug tests and the new problem with medical marijuana, including evidentiary issues and how to handle them.
- Responding to a Notice of Unemployment Insurance Claim.
- Appealing a Notice of Determination or Re-determination - how to request a hearing.
- Hearings before an administrative law judge (ALJ); how to prepare for and present at the hearing, request an adjournment and preserve issues for appeal.
- Appeals to the Michigan Compensation Appellate Commission and requests for re-hearings.
- Appeals to the County Circuit Courts and to the Michigan Court of Appeals.
Raising the Bar will be held on Wednesday, October 14th at the Detroit Marriott Troy, 200 W. Big Beaver Rd., Troy, MI 48084. Continental breakfast will be served at 8:30 a.m. The program begins at 9:00 a.m. and ends at 11:45 a.m. The cost of the event is $75 per person and pre-registration is required. To register, e-mail Pamela Perkowski at email@example.com or call 313.567.5921.
About Nemeth Law, P.C.
Nemeth Law specializes in arbitration, mediation, workplace investigations, employment litigation, traditional labor law and management consultation/training for private and public sector employers. It is the largest woman-owned law firm in Michigan to exclusively represent management in the prevention, resolution and litigation of labor and employment disputes.