Paying the Price for Employees Behaving Badly is the focus of Nemeth Law’s Raising the Bar series on October 5, 2016
Raising the Bar, an educational series raising employer awareness of current issues in employment and labor law and offered by Detroit-based management side labor and employment law firm Nemeth Law, P.C., returns October 5, 2016 to cover the topic of Paying the Price for Employees Behaving Badly.
“Most employers are fairly adept at recognizing and responding to potential discrimination and harassment claims,” Terry Bonnette, a partner at Nemeth Law, said. “What a lot of employer’s don’t realize, however, is that their liability for the inappropriate conduct of their employees does not stop there. Historically, in common law, the “master” could be held accountable for the misdeeds of a “servant.” In more modern parlance, we talk about “employment torts.” Although these types of claims are less well-known, they can still be equally, or even more costly, to the employer.”
Using case studies to identify and illustrate strategies for dealing with employees behaving badly, Nemeth Law attorneys will review the following topics:
- Vicarious liability and respondent superior: when is the employer responsible for the bad acts of its employees?
- Can I be sued for that? The not–so- exclusive remedy provisions of the workers compensation statute
- You should have known better. Negligent hiring/retention/supervision
- Are you going to let her talk about me like that? Invasion of privacy and defamation claims
- Fast and furious: negligence involving cars, alcohol and cell phones
- You fired me, now no one will hire me! Tortious interference
- You're so mean! Intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress
Raising the Bar will be held on Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at the Management Education Center, 811 West Square Lake Road, Troy, MI 48098. Continental breakfast will be served at 8:30 a.m. The program begins at 9:00 a.m. and ends at 11:45 a.m. The cost of the event is $75 per person and pre-registration is required. To register, e-mail Pamela Perkowski at email@example.com or call 313.567.5921.
About Nemeth Law, P.C.
Nemeth Law specializes in arbitration, mediation, workplace investigations, employment litigation, traditional labor law and management consultation/training for private and public sector employers. It is the largest woman-owned law firm in Michigan to exclusively represent management in the prevention, resolution and litigation of labor and employment disputes.